Seeking New Contacts – Acquaintances – Friends – in Nevada, Reno-Sparks Area
Posted 8:00 a.m. CT Saturday 11 April 2015
Read previous posting about this for some information:
Contact me via…
- Email – email@example.com
- Facebook – Jim Lantern
- Twitter – Jim Lantern @TimeglassZone
- Use Comments/Feedback under this posting
- No phone contact until after moving
…Please contact me as soon as possible, preferably before Friday 1 May 2015.
I’m seeking new contacts – acquaintances – friends – in Nevada, Reno-Sparks area, where I’m moving to.
The apartments complex where I’ve lived at in Norman, Oklahoma, for 7 years, has been sold and is to be bulldozed. A new massive high-rise apartment building with a parking garage will be built in its place. This is being done to other affordable housing for low-income people in Norman, other cities in Oklahoma, and cities of other states. Likewise, landlords of affordable housing are imposing minimum income limits of 3 times the rent or about $2000 minimum net income. Low-wage workers, part-time workers, retired seniors surviving only on Social Security retirement, and people like me presently on disability benefits, are being shut out and forced to look for affordable housing elsewhere. A USA Today journalist tipped me off about the Reno-Sparks area, and I was able to confirm the existence of low-rent apartments, as well as low-rate weekly and monthly motel kitchenettes. I expect to stay at one of those motels near the Greyhound Bus station in Reno as a base from which to check out apartment deals in the area in person. I might be willing to consider a roommate deal.
Special note to any readers in Norman, Oklahoma, who are also losing their home and are seeking to relocate. I am seeking a travel companion – anyone interested in moving to the Reno-Sparks area of Nevada. You’ll need to buy your bus ticket at least 21 days in advance for best discount.
I will be traveling via Greyhound Bus. I will only bring with me one suitcase (checked) and one travel bag (carry-on). I will leave on a Saturday and arrive the following Monday morning.
I’m seeking contacts in the Reno and Sparks area of Nevada to provide me with some advance information of the kind that will be better to get from someone there than from other Internet sources. I’m also seeking to make new friends there. and acquaintances. I define friends as being people I socialize with in person. Acquaintances are all others I’ll get to know and communicate with, including people in various business.
No car. I’ll need to get familiar with the area’s city bus system. It would be good to have a friend who can give me a ride to a few hard to get to locations just a few times, for which I can pay for the gas and buy lunch if available during the day. Otherwise I’ll have to use local taxi service. I might eventually buy a bicycle at the local Walmart.
I’ll be moving my bank account as soon as possible to a local or state bank in the area there with easy ATM access.
I’ll be seeking a doctor (MD) there who accepts new patients on Medicare. I’ll need to apply at Nevada Division of Welfare & Supportive Services and/or Nevada Department of Health and Human Services for Medicaid, local medical coverage. I might not need to apply for food stamps if the rent where I’ll live is low enough.
Some information about me…
- Age 59, born 5 March 1956. Single, straight, no children, no known living relatives.
- Past professions include electronics repair, warehouse parts inventory control, hotel night auditor and motel manager. I’m a science fiction author and independent journalist, but no income from those.
- Graduated from high school in 1974, then some college in 1975 and 2001 but no degree.
- Presently living on Social Security Disability – money I paid in from about 30 years of employment for retirement but get sooner for disability.
- No criminal record.
- No history of illegal drug use.
- I don’t smoke cigarettes (or anything else) because of life-long history of bronchial asthma.
- I permanently quit drinking all alcoholic beverages in 1986 at age 30 when I began to get bleeding stomach ulcers, which I still suffer from.
- I have no debts. My credit isn’t bad, but isn’t good because of a lack of credit history. I’ve never used credit cards. I prefer cash, check, or debit card use for purchases.
- My “social life” bit the dust when I went on disability benefits. No car, fluctuating unpredictable bad health, and not enough money to socialize after apartment rent was jacked up here, made it difficult to maintain friendships here.
- I’m registered as an Independent voter. I average out to be a Centrist.
- I’m not a church-goer, being more spiritual than religious, as a Spiritual Universalist
More personal information, personal interests…
Jim Lantern is my legal professional pen name for the Internet as a science fiction author and independent journalist.
My full legal family name is ~ James Charles Harwood [I’m in #123 now, not #404]
Me at OU duck pond bridge August 2008 – click on image to see full size.
Me at home in August 2008 – I live in different apartment now.
Science Fiction Author:
Read free novel at Science Fiction.
I’m a science fiction author. My first science fiction novel was published as a paperback book in May 2003, then as an ebook in May 2004. It did much better as an ebook until June 2006, than it did as a paperback. That version is no longer available. Read my newest science fiction novel and short stories to be posted here at Timeglass Journal – see links list on the Science Fiction Page.
I’m a fan and writer of science fiction.
Favorite authors include…
- Arthur C. Clarke
- Robert A. Heinlein
- Spider Robinson
Favorite science fiction movies include…
…I do not consider those two to be the best science fiction movies of all time but they are my favorite. I also like…
- Star Trek (new version)
- Star Wars
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Blade Runner
Favorite TV shows include…
- The Walking Dead (on AMC)
- Falling Skies (On TNT)
- Hell on Wheels (On AMC)
- Vikings (On HIST)
- Survivor (On CBS)
My favorite female performers in music include…
My favorite male performers in music include…
My favorite bands and others in music include…
Sports I like:
- I like watching NASCAR
- I like watching motorcycle racing.
- I like watching soccer.
- I’ve become a fan of college football.
Games I like:
+ + +