The far left liberal Democrats and the far left news media distorting the truth and fanning the flames, more so than usual.
They all make it sound as if Trump initiated the call. He did not. The President of Taiwan called him to congratulate him for winning U.S. Election 2016.
History notes from NBC News…
- Taiwan — located just over 100 miles off China, across the Taiwan Strait — has a population of more than 23 million people and is an economic powerhouse, despite its history of political woes. Over the years, it bounced between Japanese and Chinese rule, and after World War II, was put under martial law by the Chinese mainland.
- By the time Taiwan began to untangle itself from martial law in the 1970s, there had been widespread human rights violations, including protesters killed for marching for free democracy independent of communist rule.
- Taiwan eventually elected its own president, but it views its future differently from how the mainland does. China feels there’s a “one country, two systems” structure in place at the moment and that Taiwan will eventually be folded back into China entirely, while Taiwan maintains it should have its own government and become its own country.
- The U.S. has taken China’s side for years: It recognized the People’s Republic of China as the sole legal government in 1979 when it ended diplomatic relations with Taiwan.
- A spokesperson for the White House’s National Security Council said after Trump’s phone call that the administration remains “firmly committed to our ‘one China’ policy.”
…However, there are people in the U.S. government who believe it should be by mutual consent. Further…
- While the U.S. does not recognize Taiwan as an independent nation, it sold the island $12 billion worth of arms in the 1970s as part of an agreement that commits Washington to helping Taiwan defend itself.
- Trump took to Twitter to downplay the phone call.
- “Interesting how the U.S. sells Taiwan billions of dollars of military equipment but I should not accept a congratulatory call,” he tweeted.
It hasn’t stopped Taiwan from selling products to the United States – or rather to retailers here. I still see “Made in Taiwan” on some products. As an “economic powerhouse” it is of interest to Trump – businessman and President.
My opinion, China can take its absurd sensitivities and shove them where the light don’t shine. One China policy? What happens when Putin wants a similar One Russia Policy? China is being just as aggressive, if not more so than Russia, but the mainstream news media has been giving much more attention to threats by Russia than by China.
There was nothing wrong with Trump accepting the phone call from Taiwan.
The far left will distort and gripe about everything Trump does. Might as well get used to it.
Editorial Article by Jim Lantern
LANTERN TIMEGLASS JOURNAL
Saturday, Third Day of December, 2016
+ + +