As a fan and writer of science fiction, I’ve speculated about one of the reasons why we humans don’t see aliens regularly visiting our planet. Earth is designated on galactic maps by ancient interstellar mariners with the warning to avoid it because: “There Be Monsters!”
MONITORING THE MONSTERS
Editorial Article about Election 2016 and We The People writing with sites at WordPress
by Jim Lantern
Thursday 16 June 2016
Excerpts from The Times They Are A-Changin’ Bob Dylan lyrics:
- “Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won’t come again
And don’t speak too soon
For the wheel’s still in spin
And there’s no tellin’ who
That it’s namin’
For the loser now
Will be later to win
For the times they are a-changin’.”
- “Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don’t stand in the doorway
Don’t block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There’s a battle outside
And it is ragin’
It’ll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin’.”
[For any concerns about legal use of the above material and other content herein, read the Legal Notices page.]
I also refer to myself as an amateur independent journalist…
- Amateur means [noun] a person who engages in a pursuit, especially a sport, on an unpaid basis, [adjective] engaging or engaged in without payment; nonprofessional.
- Professional means [adjective 2] a person engaged in a specified activity as one’s main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.
- Pastime means [noun] an activity that someone does regularly for enjoyment rather than work; a hobby.
- Independent means [adjective 1 and 2] free from outside control; not depending on another’s authority, not depending on another for livelihood or subsistence.
- Journalist means [noun] a person who writes for newspapers, magazines, or news websites or prepares news to be broadcast,[synonyms] reporter · correspondent · columnist · writer · commentator · reviewer · investigative journalist · photojournalist · newspaperman · newspaperwoman · newsman · newswoman · newshound · newshawk · hack · stringer.
- Journal means [noun 1 and 2] a newspaper or magazine that deals with a particular subject or professional activity, a daily record of news and events of a personal nature; a diary.
…And therefore, Lantern Timeglass Journal…
…Mainly writing editorial articles, I do not consider this to be a “blog” and I prefer to refer to this as a WordPress “site” rather than a WordPress “blog” – I do not refer to myself as a “blogger” here.
I began this site as a means I can control to present my opinions, rather than posting my opinions as comments under articles by professional writers at mainstream news media websites [such as CNN for example] where the comments are moderated – where I’ve seen good comments appear and then be censored or deleted, while allowing Internet trolls to post their psychotic rants.
Writers like me and others with sites at WordPress [perhaps like you who are reading this] are needed, especially now and here in the United States involving Election 2016 – to help maintain the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution – especially for Freedom of the Press and Freedom of Speech – I believe to be in some danger.
If Election 2016 were just between Democrats and Republicans, excluding Libertarians and other political creatures coming out under the light of a full moon, then it might be like ALIEN vs. PREDATOR – with Hillary Clinton as the drooling queen Alien and Donald Trump as the leader of the Predators!
After a trek across an apocalyptic dystopian wasteland, I’ve reached my new home…
…And what do I find upon arriving there? An elephant on my porch! A Republican? Donald Trump, perhaps?
During a recent rant, President Obama stopped just short of making it a speech and thought crime to use the words “radical Islam” – especially when referring to terrorists – such words being “a threat to national security” according to him. I believe “political correctness” is a kind of terrorism!
Recent events in Orlando, Florida, have proved that the monsters are real, not just the nightmares of fiction. We must monitor the monsters.
Why be concerned about Obama’s words? After all, he’ll soon be gone. But who will be his replacement? Hillary Clinton is an Orwellian dystopian totalitarian on steroids. A statist. Statism [noun] a political system in which the state has substantial centralized control over social and economic affairs: “the rise of authoritarian Statism.” She pretends to be a liberal Democrat, but as a Statist doing so makes her like a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Compared to Donald Trump, which of them is the greater threat to our basic freedoms? Here’s a clue. Most businesses – most companies – are run like aristocratic or autocratic dictatorships, not democracies – but for the exceptions of a kind of representative government through employee unions, or “employee-owned” companies [like Homeland grocery stores for example]. The lesser of two evils? They might actually be equal, but in different ways – Hillary Clinton as a left-leaning Statist and Donald Trump as a right-leaning Statist. Even so, if so, Election 2016 might come down to voting for the least of three evils – with the Libertarian candidates getting on the ballots of all 50 states. I average out to be a Centrist – by agreeing with Liberal Democrats on some issues and Conservative Republicans on some issues. Similar to Libertarians, but not as far left and not as far right as they are. As a voter I’m registered as an Independent. Also, I’m a Populist and a Nationalist Patriot.
The following two paragraphs have been excerpted from the 1986 Baen Book printing of Robert A. Heinlein’s novel titled Revolt in 2100 –from the story titled If This Goes On—:
- For the first time in my life I was reading things which had not been approved by the Prophet’s censors, and the impact on my mind was devastating. Sometimes I would glance over my shoulder to see who was watching me, frightened in spit of myself. I began to sense faintly that secrecy is the keystone of all tyranny. Not force, but secrecy . . . censorship. When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, “This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know,” the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything—you can’t conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.
- I had trouble at first in admitting the possibility of what I read; I think perhaps of all the things a police state can do to its citizens, distorting history is possibly the most pernicious. For example, I learned for the first time that the United States had not been ruled by a bloodthirsty emissary of Satan before the First Prophet arose in his wrath and cast him out — but had been a community of free men, deciding their own affairs by peaceful consent. I don’t mean that the first republic had been a scriptural paradise, but it hadn’t been anything like what I had learned in school.
IF THIS GOES ON—
Excerpts from Wikipedia article…
- “If This Goes On—” is a science fiction short novel by Robert A. Heinlein, first serialized in 1940 in Astounding Science-Fiction and revised and expanded for inclusion in the 1953 collection Revolt in 2100. The novel shows what might happen to Christianity in the United States given mass communications, applied psychology, and a hysterical populace. The novel is part of Heinlein’s Future History series.
- The story is set in a future theocratic American society, ruled by the latest in a series of fundamentalist Christian “Prophets.” The First Prophet was Nehemiah Scudder, a backwoods preacher turned President (elected in 2012), then dictator (no elections were held in 2016 or later).
Today, 76 years after Heinlein’s prediction, the threat isn’t coming from fundamentalist Christians. Instead, the threat is coming from Muslims of “radical Islam” engaging in terrorism and seeking to control the world – not just their own country or to conquer the United States and other countries.
As witnesses and reporters of various kinds of local, national, and world events, we writers as amateur independent journalists are a kind of modern-day “Watchmen” [including women], but without the superhero aspects of the 2009 movie Watchmen.
The 2009 movie Watchmen involves alternate history.
Election 2016 could be the most important election in U.S. history. But which alternate history will become our reality?
…We amateur independent journalists via WordPress must shine the light on Election 2016, and help light the way.
…We of the like-minded must stand together on the shore of the future, be it facing a sunrise or a sunset.
…Come out of your box and vote on Tuesday 8 November 2016.