Posted 10:40 a.m. Pacific Time Friday 28 August 2015 + Updates
Issued by The National Weather Service – Reno, NV
Fri, Aug 28, 4:00 am PDT
- THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RENO HAS ISSUED A WIND ADVISORY… WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 11 AM PDT SATURDAY.
- * TIMING: BEGINNING SHORTLY AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT CONTINUING INTO LATE SATURDAY MORNING.
- * WINDS: 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 55 MPH. LOCAL GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE FOR WIND PRONE AREAS.
- * IMPACTS: WINDS WILL BE CAPABLE OF BRINGING DOWN TREE LIMBS AND MAY BLOW AWAY UNSECURED OUTDOOR ITEMS LIKE PATIO FURNITURE OR CAMPING GEAR.
- * BLOWING DUST: RESTRICTIONS TO VISIBILITY FOR MOTORIST DOWN TO 1 MILE AT TIMES. VISIBILITY WILL BE POOREST AROUND THE SMOKE CREEK AND BLACK ROCK DESERTS WHERE RESTRICTIONS ON THE PLAYA MAY BE LOWER.
- PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…
- MOTORISTS… ESPECIALLY IN HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES… SHOULD USE CAUTION AND REMAIN ALERT FOR SUDDEN GUSTS OR CROSS WINDS. SECURE OUTDOOR GEAR SUCH AS CAMPING GEAR AND PATIO FURNITURE. TREE LIMBS MAY BE BLOWN DOWN AS WELL DUE TO DENSER FOLIAGE.
A STRONG SYSTEM WILL MOVE THROUGH THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST AND BRING STRONG GUSTY WINDS TO THE SIERRA AND WESTERN NEVADA LATE TONIGHT AND SATURDAY ALONG WITH PERIODS OF BLOWING DUST TO THE LOWER DESERT VALLEYS.
— UPDATES —
7:10 a.m. PT Saturday 29 August 2015 – At 69F the day has started out about 10 degrees warmer than usual. The forecasted high is 84F, which is about 10 degrees cooler than recent highs. Reno has not had the strong wind that was forecasted in the Wind Advisory – still in effect until 11:00 a.m. PT. In fact it is nearly calm outside now, and partly to mostly cloudy.
3:00 p.m. PT – A sudden and significant gust of strong wind got my attention, so I checked for an update and found this…
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RENO HAS EXTENDED THE WIND ADVISORY… WHICH IS NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM PDT THIS EVENING.
* WINDS: SOUTHWEST TO WEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS 40 TO 50 MPH. LOCALLY STRONGER GUSTS FOR WIND PRONE AREAS.3″
FULL MOON – Officially “full” at 10:35 a.m. Pacific Time – Saturday – 29 August 2015. Moonrise 6:35 p.m. PT – Friday – 28 August 2015. Moonset 6:17 a.m. PT – Saturday – 29 August 2015.
Sunset 7:37 p.m. PT – Friday – 28 August 2015. Sunrise 6:25 a.m. PT – Saturday 29 August 2015.
+ + +